Marist Concussion Management Policy
Seven steps to a safe return to play post-concussion:
(1) Complete Cognitive rest. This may include staying home from school or limited school hours for several days. Activities requiring concentration and attention may worsen symptoms and delay recovery.
(2) Return to school full time. Physician's clearance for return to activity.
(3) Light exercise. This step cannot begin until you are symptom-free, back to ImPACT baseline, and cleared by your physician for further activity. At this point you may begin walking or riding an exercise bike. No weight-lifting.
(4) Running in the gym or on the field. No helmet or other equipment.
(5) Non-contact training drills in full equipment. Weight training can begin.
(6) Full contact practice or training.
(7) Game play. Must be cleared by your physician before returning to play.
Note: There should be approximately 24 hours between each step and the athlete will return to Step 1 if symptoms recur.